Clock returns to its birthplace
After almost 200 years a rare and original John Parry of Tremadog clock has returned to its birth place, The Golden Fleece.
It is a little known fact that back in the 1800’s the stable block of the Golden Fleece housed a clock makers, John Parry.
We have been searching for an original clock that is in good working order for some time now. This week we have proudly taken delivery of a pristine example of John Parry’s work. The clock circa 1835 came from a clock specialist who was almost as pleased as we were to return it to its birthplace!
It is believed that the clock was purchased by a family in Bangor in the 1830’s and was handed down from generation to generation before being purchased by the dealer.
It’s unusual to find an example of his work that hasn’t traveled far. Many of the clocks found their way to America, presumingly leaving via the port of Porthmadog. In fact we recently almost bought one of his clocks which had found its way to The Hague.
We have placed the clock in our dining room in front of what would have been the clock makers shop front. We think it looks great and forms an interesting part of the Golden Fleeces history.
To complement the Grandfather Clock we have added a wall of clocks to represent the heritage of the clock makers shop.